Friday, January 20, 2012

Snow Days!

Yes we got a bunch more snow, yay! I happened to be awake at 3:30 this morning, so I peaked outside to see how much snow we got. There was about three more inches, WOW. I was already awake so I bundled up (scarf, gloves, housecoat, winter-boots) and went outside to sweep my area. Little did I realize what a mistake this was going to be. I went back to bed, curled up with a fresh hot-water-bottle and slept til about 7:30. I woke up to a power outage, no lights, no heat, NO COFFEE. Meanwhile the freezing rain had started, the area I had swept was now a sheet of ICE. I settled in for a day without light or heat until the craving for coffee was bad enough to motivate me to walk to the gas station up the road for a cup.

I bundled up properly this time. I don't have any long-johns so I improvised, summer pj-pants under jeans with t-shirt, thin zip up sweat shirt, and big bulky (favorite) hoodie. Top it off with down winter jacket and snow boots, I was ready to go. Now I am a little OCD and a lot ADD so I can never leave the house just once. By the time I actually got out of the house I was quite warm and very much looking forward to that cup of coffee. It was a really nice walk, the snow was beautiful (forgot to take my camera) even if it was slightly trampled by the rain. And never before in my life has gas station coffee ever tasted so good.

Aren't I lucky, as I was walking home with hot coffee in gloved hands, I saw the utility company truck with a guy in the cherry-picker up the pole at the corner. The power was back on by the time I got to the house.

Pretty eventful day, up until 10:00 am.

And this is the part of snow days that I love. Being home, having nowhere to go, baking something sweet and just relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment